Monday, June 3, 2013

Parts of Speech- Notebook Activity

Here’s a fun grammar activity (if there is such a thing) that we did last week when we were reviewing parts of speech…

Now, I have to admit that grammar is not always my strongest subject to teach for a couple of reasons; a) I learned it well over 20 years ago, b) I don’t know all the rules by heart yet, c) it doesn't always make a lot of sense in my brain, and d) there’s always a thousand different ways to say the same thing in English. It can be really frustrating and confusing for me so I can only imagine the torture it must feel like to my mostly ESL students.


I started the lesson by playing this catchy little number to hook them in and then we listened a second time, making sure to pause and jot down notes in our notebooks. Once we made our way through the 8 parts of speech, I turned them loose with a stack of old magazines in the craft corner and sent them on a scavenger hunt for all the different parts of speech we just learned. Here’s a copy of the simple table I made for their notebooks and a few examples from my students so you have a visual. 
·        

  •     They didn't get them all accurate, but they really tried. Guess we’ll be revisiting these again this week J
    If you have a different method that’s been more effective for teaching parts of speech, please leave me a tip. I’ll take all the help I can get!


No comments:

Post a Comment