Saturday, September 8, 2012

Back to School


Well folks, it’s that time of year again…Wednesday marked the beginning of a new school year, and with it, the endless possibilities and promises that it brings. It’s always fun to watch the kids file into school on the first day with their new shoes and big smiles, excited to see all of their friends and check out their new classrooms. Lucky for me, my students had the same excitement despite knowing that there are only 4 of them! Also lucky for me, these are amazing kids. I’m truly excited about all of the progress we’re going to make this year. Good stuff.

Anyway, most of week one was spent getting to know each other, going over the rules and syllabus and, of course, playing some games. The syllabus was something that I wanted to improve this year because it’s really important for the students and the parents to know what your expectations are, how you grade, and the learning objectives for the year. My new colleague created this awesome magazine for his kids and I had to steal the idea (thanks, Mr. Joseph).

Other than that, things are in full swing as of Monday morning and I’m really excited about our first theme unit on Citizenship & Government. We’re doing some really great projects and incorporating a TON of computer/IT components. What a neat thing the internet is, I tell ya. It really is learning for the 21st century. I’ll post more on thematic teaching and how we create cross-curricular plans later. For now, it’s Saturday night and my book and glass of wine are calling. Have a great weekend everyone! Here are a few pictures of the (mostly) finished classroom decorations.
 
Our computer station with a list of teacher-approved websites.

The front of my room. Where the magic happens.

The writing process display... a MUST HAVE for any primary classroom.

Bookbag storage and supply closet.

Class timeline that we'll be adding to throughout the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment