Friday, October 12, 2012

Treasure Island: A multi-purpose board game


Are you looking for a fun math station activity for task board time? Need an engaging way to help your kids review for an exam? Look no further; Treasure Island is the answer. It’s a board game that I made a couple of weeks ago to help my kids practice and review dividing decimals before their big test, but could easily be adapted for any subject. I drew the game board on a large piece of cardstock and printed out some pirate clipart from the internet to decorate it. Then, I created a table with leveled question cards in MS Word, printed them on different colored paper, and laminated them. I printed one extra sheet so the kids playing the game during task board time could show their work and sign the questions that they completed. I put the laminated question cards, player pieces, and dice in a small plastic baggie with game instructions in the math activity bin so it’s easy for the kids to just grab it and get to work. I will be adding different question cards before each big math test just to mix it up, but they really seemed to like it. Here are a couple of pictures of the board and the MS Word document that I created for the question cards. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment