Sunday, February 3, 2013

Math Board Game Project


We are wrapping up our first semester here before the big Tet (Lunar New Year) holiday next week and I wanted to give my students a fun project that would help them review for the final exam. We love board games in my class, so any chance to integrate them into our learning, I’m all for. This is what I like to call “hiding vegetables in the lasagna” because it’s chock full of math, but it’s in the form of a fun board game- genius. Plus, who doesn’t love playing board games? J Anyway, this project was such a success last year that I thought I’d do it again. Here’s how we did it:

Each student group is responsible for creating a fun, challenging, and creative board game. This includes writing the game rules and objectives, creating question cards along with some form of an answer key, and making the actual game board. Class time and resources are available for them to complete this task, and when it’s finished, each group presents their game to the class. Once each group has presented their game, we take turns playing each of them during math or at task board time and then we take a little vote on which group had the best game. I give a little extra prize for the class favorite, but each group is graded according to the rubric for their own game. Here’s a copy of the project guidelines and rubric that I created if you want to try it out with your students… Enjoy!
 
What other math projects have you tried?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment