Thursday, November 29, 2012

Food Web Poster Project


One of my very favorite units to teach in life science is on food chains and food webs. I guess I’ve always been fascinated by how perfectly nature seems to work; organisms giving and receiving life- no detail overlooked, everything serving a purpose. The interconnectedness of nature and life is truly mind-blowing, isn’t it? Ok, I’m done with the deep, philosophical thoughts for nowJ



We’ve been studying the symbiotic relationships that exist in different biomes around the world and learning all about how species are dependent on one another for survival. For our final life science project, each of the students was assigned a different ecosystem to research and present in the form of a food web. Naturally, I wanted them to go beyond the basic rabbit-eats-grass, snake-eats-rabbit connection and start using the vocabulary that we’ve learned so I required that they label producers, consumers, and decomposers. As with most of my projects, I gave them the option of creating the poster by hand or using a word processor program. Once again, they rose to the challenge and impressed me with their ability to simplify their findings. Their oral presentation skills are improving so much.

Here's a fun video that breaks down the different types of symbiotic relationships that we find in nature.
 

Feel free to steal the guidelines and rubric here. Here are a few photos of their work.


 

Happy Friday!

1 comment: